NFL Reviewing Ravens WR Rashod Bateman After June Arrest in Georgia Family Violence Case
· Yahoo Sports
The NFL is reviewing Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Rashod Bateman under its Personal Conduct Policy after Georgia court records revealed that he was arrested in June on family violence and property-damage charges.
Visit turconews.click for more information.
According to court documents obtained by TMZ, police accused Bateman of damaging a Mercedes-Benz occupied by the mother of his child and their 3-month-old daughter during a June 3 incident in Monroe, Georgia. An arrest warrant alleged that shattered glass caused small cuts to the woman's face.
Bateman, 26, faces misdemeanor charges of family violence battery and reckless conduct, along with a felony count of first-degree criminal damage to property. His attorney, Jordan Siev, said the family situation had been “taken completely out of context for sensational reasons” and urged the public to allow the court process to play out.
The Ravens said they had been communicating directly with Bateman, notified the league and were cooperating with its review. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy subsequently told ESPN that the matter is “under review of the personal conduct policy.”
The Warrant Alleges a Dispute Began Before the Car Was Damaged
View this post on Instagram
Police were called at about 6 a.m. on June 3 after an earlier dispute between Bateman and the mother of his child at a shared residence in Monroe, according to court records cited by ESPN. Officers said the woman had multiple facial contusions that she attributed to that earlier confrontation.
The warrant alleged that Bateman later used an object to break the windshield and driver's-side window of the woman's 2021 Mercedes-Benz. Police said shattered glass caused multiple small lacerations to her face, and an officer reported seeing glass in her hair and face. The documents also accused Bateman of trying to puncture one of the vehicle's tires with a screwdriver.
Their 3-month-old daughter was secured in a car seat in the rear of the vehicle during the incident. ESPN reported that the warrant placed the child in the back seat, while other reporting on the court records said investigators observed glass inside the vehicle. The available reports have not described an injury to the infant.
Bateman surrendered to the Walton County Sheriff's Office that day, according to his representatives. The allegations remain before the Georgia court and have not resulted in a finding of guilt.
His Attorney Says the Family Situation Has Been Misrepresented
Siev issued a statement after details of the arrest became public on Aug. 21. “It is unfortunate that a personal family situation has been taken completely out of context for sensational reasons,” he said. “We will let the court process play out, and the facts will come out at that time.”
A no-contact order was imposed following Bateman's arrest, but the court later modified it after Bateman represented that the woman wanted to resume contact with him. The revised conditions continued to prohibit violent contact and required Bateman to complete a family violence intervention program before in-person contact could resume, according to CBS News Baltimore.
The Ravens Alerted the NFL and the League Opened a Conduct Review
View this post on Instagram
The Ravens acknowledged the case after it became public Friday, saying they had already been in contact with Bateman. “We notified the league office and have been cooperating throughout the process,” the team said. “As this is a pending legal matter, we will not have further comment.”
McCarthy confirmed the NFL's involvement to ESPN, saying the club had contacted the league and that the matter was being reviewed under the Personal Conduct Policy. Ravens coach Jesse Minter declined to go beyond the team's statement when he was asked about Bateman after Baltimore's preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings.
The league process is separate from the Georgia criminal case. The NFL's Personal Conduct Policy provides a baseline six-game unpaid suspension when the league determines that a violation involving domestic or other family violence occurred, with aggravating or mitigating circumstances potentially affecting the discipline.
Bateman Has Continued Practicing With Baltimore
The arrest did not prevent Bateman from reporting for training camp. ESPN reported that he has practiced throughout the summer after missing voluntary workouts in May and June and Baltimore's mandatory minicamp because of what offensive coordinator Declan Doyle described at the time as “some personal things.”
When Bateman spoke with reporters at training camp on Aug. 6, he discussed becoming a father without addressing the June case. “It's the best thing that's ever happened to me,” he said of his daughter. “I love my little girl so much. She's changed me a lot.”
Baltimore selected Bateman with the 27th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. After posting career highs of 756 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in 2024, he signed a three-year, $36.75 million extension containing $20 million guaranteed. His production fell to 19 catches for a career-low 224 yards and two touchdowns in 2025.