Joey Chestnut receives probation after being accused of slapping man at bar

· Toronto Sun

The man famous for slamming back hotdogs at competitive eating contests seems to have escaped hot water for slapping a man.

Visit extonnews.click for more information.

Joey Chestnut was sentenced to 180 days of probation after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour battery charge, US Weekly reported.

The charge stemmed from an Indiana bar incident on March 21 in which the 17-time Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest champ was accused of drunkenly slapping a man, according to an affidavit obtained by US Weekly .

The victim alleged that Chestnut “slapped him” on the left side of his face after the two exchanged handshakes.

When questioned by police, the competitive eater allegedly said he was “pretty drunk and didn’t remember” what had happened. After he was shown surveillance footage from the bar, Chestnut reportedly told police he “must have taken offence” to something the victim said.

Conditions include no guns, drugs, alcohol

He pleaded guilty to battery resulting in bodily injury and was sentenced on April 20.

Chestnut’s probation conditions prohibit him from legally owning, possessing or acquiring any firearms unless granted permission by his probation officer, US Weekly reported.

He’s also prohibited from consuming or possessing controlled substances without a valid prescription and must submit to random drug and alcohol testing.

Chestnut’s representative released a mea culpa on behalf of the speed-eater to US Weekly , which said that “Joey regrets engaging and the interaction being misinterpreted. He strives to always connect in a fun manner with fans. In this case, some inappropriate things were said that Joey reacted to. He’s committed to avoiding being in those situations going forward.”

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

Champ set to defend title at Coney Island

With his probation set to end on Oct. 16, the 42-year-old professional eater filed petitions and was granted permission to travel outside of Indiana so he can compete in this year’s Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4 on Coney Island in New York City.

Chestnut has won the competition 17 times since his first appearance in 2007, missing only one contest since then. He was barred from competing in 2024 by Major League Eating due to his sponsorship with Impossible Foods, a plant-based rival to Nathan’s.

Chestnut returned at last year’s event, downing 70 1/2 hotdogs in 10 minutes to reclaim the Yellow Mustard Belt.

Read full story at source